POSITION OVERVIEWAt Guidewire, we make software that offers Property and Casualty (P&C) Insurance companies the tools to take care of their customers when they need it the most, whether that’s a time of crisis, a natural disaster, an accident, or exposure to cyber risks. We build the core applications that insurance companies use to sell and underwrite policies, settle claims, and bill their customers. We also have a portfolio of innovative products serving the needs of P&C insurance companies in areas such as data management, digital online portals, and predictive analytics. We run these products on the Guidewire Cloud Platform, and we help hundreds of insurance providers all over the world to handle billions of dollars of business.
At the forefront of Guidewire’s cloud team, Customer and Cloud Operations ensures Guidewire products remain up and running so our customers are available to respond to their insured when an emergency or natural disaster strikes. Therefore, Cloud Operations 24X7 global team includes Cloud Operations Engineers who work rotational weekend shifts and provide occasional emergency coverage.
We are proud to be voted a Top Cloud Employer on Glassdoor by our own employees and positioned as a market leader by industry experts like Gartner. We have a fun work environment and a culture that lives by our core values of integrity, rationality, and collegiality.
We’re searching for people who are as passionate about working together to deliver quality products and support as we are. Join us and enjoy a career where you can make an impact. You’ll be inspired by those around you, and you’ll be trusted and empowered to go further.
Guidewire’s Cloud Operations Team is part of the Customer & Cloud Operations (CCO) organization, delivering 24x7 service to customers who are using Guidewire’s software products on the Guidewire Cloud Platform.
As a Cloud Operations Engineer, you will be part of a team that is passionately trying to automate everything possible to make Guidewire systems run more efficiently. The CloudOps team is dedicated full-time to creating and running software that improves the reliability of systems in production, serving hundreds of customers and supporting millions of transactions each day. You will be operating Guidewire’s flagship cloud platform and InsuranceSuite products and building tooling to help ensure efficient operations and optimal availability of all SaaS multi-tenant and customer-focused systems. Cloud engineers collaborate closely with Guidewire’s product developers to ensure that the Guidewire core cloud products address functional and non-functional requirements such as availability, performance, observability, and maintainability.
This role requires a high degree of independence, ownership and responsibility. If you like to be challenged and have a passion for solving problems at scale with systems like Kubernetes and Aurora, then we would love to hear from you. The ideal candidate is someone who exemplifies the ethics of, "If you have to do something more than once, automate it," and who can rapidly self-educate on new concepts and tools. Bonus points if you have prior experience doing production support of a SaaS platform, and are comfortable working with bleeding edge highly containerized cloud-native environments in AWS.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Deploy and operate shared multi-tenant infrastructure for a SaaS microservice-based containerized systems in addition to customer-centric application environments
- Administer and automate the team’s growing presence in AWS
- Operational support for Guidewire’s flagship highly integrated Java-based InsuranceSuite web applications
- Implement and operate a complex single sign-on SAML/OAuth-based central authentication platform
- Develop and deploy tooling to aid in driving 24x7x365 service operations of critical world-wide systems
- Automate deployment tasks for core product and infrastructure tools and maintain automation infrastructure
- Create system documentation and training materials to empower and educate our own and other CCO teams
Required Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related field
- Familiarity with the Agile software development lifecycle
- Background with Linux systems administration and strong scripting skills in Bash, Python, Go, etc.
- Experience supporting web applications running on Java / Apache / Tomcat in a live production environment
- Demonstrable experience with automating systems and infrastructure with Terraform
- Production-At-Scale support background in a heavily microservice-based world
- Working with Kubernetes hands-on in a “Been there, Done that” way
- Strong understanding of Single-Sign On, SAML, oAuth (Bonus points if hands-on experience with Okta)
- Background utilizing and supporting log analytical tools such as DataDog (Logging and APM)
- Great understanding of DevOps tools, CI/CD and hands-on experience with git, Bitbucket and TeamCity
- Seasoned expertise around x.509 certificate technology and basic concepts of encryption
- Solid understanding of concepts surrounding containerized networking and all things IP
- Experience working with Relational Databases such as Aurora Postgres and/or Oracle RDS
- Advanced exposure to broad technical skills such as application development, web UI (design and development), JSON, application architecture
- Ability to read and interpret application server thread dumps, Catalina outputs, CloudTrail, and other critical logging outputs.
Personal Qualities and Soft Skills
- A no-fear approach to ambiguity and a startup-like culture
- You greatly prefer CLIops to ClickOps
- You enjoy teaching and being a mentor to others
- Outstanding troubleshooting skills; ability to think critically and display an aptitude for problem solving
- Strongly analytical mind with a penchant for process development and enhancement
- Display a strong work ethic and do whatever it takes to get the job done
- A highly positive can-do attitude with a knack for being a team player
- Excellent communication skills and ability to explain complex technical concepts to a varied audience
- Demonstrate strong follow-through and consistently keep commitments to customers and employees
- Ability to read, write, and speak fluent English
- We provide 24x7 support to our customers, so weekend support coverage is mandatory
- Travel – Expect occasional travel (less than 5%) to other Guidewire offices for training and team meetings
About GuidewireGuidewire is the platform P&C insurers trust to engage, innovate, and grow efficiently.
Guidewire combines core, data, digital, analytics, and AI to deliver our platform as a cloud service. More than 400 insurers, including the largest and most complex in the world, run on Guidewire.
As a partner to our customers, we continually evolve to enable their success. We are proud of our unparalleled implementation track record with 1000+ successful projects, supported by the largest R&D team and partner ecosystem in the industry. Our Marketplace provides hundreds of add-ons that accelerate integration, localization, and innovation.
Guidewire Software, Inc. is proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. We are committed to an inclusive workplace, and believe that a diversity of perspectives, abilities, and cultures is a key to our success. Qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, citizenship, marital status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or disability. All offers are contingent upon passing a criminal history and other background checks where it's applicable to the position.
Disability Accommodations and Guidewire’s Appeals Process. Guidewire provides accommodations to the hiring process to create a fair opportunity for candidates with disabilities to contend for open positions. Accommodation requests should be directed to (650) 356-4940 or Accommodations@guidewire.com. If things do not go as hoped, we invite you to use our appeals process. Guidewire promises to independently review any denied accommodation and any decision not to offer you the position. The appeals process is the same in either case. Within five business days of receiving a notice of denial of an accommodation, or receiving a notice of your non-selection for a vacancy, call (650) 356-4940 or e-mail Accommodations@guidewire.com to make an appeal. Guidewire will assign a new decision-maker to review the request and/or hiring decision, who will then notify you in writing of a decision within 10 business days.