BuzzFeedBuzzFeed is the world’s leading independent digital media and tech company, with a cross-platform news and entertainment network that reaches hundreds of millions of people globally and spreads Joy and Truth across the internet.
Our portfolio of brands are household names that people rely on to inform and entertain, including: BuzzFeed, BuzzFeed News, Tasty, Nifty, Bring Me, Cocoa Butter, Pero Like, Worth It, and Unsolved to name a few! These properties and their Creators reach over 134M people a month through articles, lists, videos, animations, quizzes, podcasts, original series, newsletters and more.
The RoleBuzzFeed News is hiring a copy editor for its English-language bureaus. We're looking for a news hound and self-professed "word nerd" with an eye for grammar, spelling, punctuation, and syntax, with a heightened awareness of language choices when editing sensitive content, and who thrives in a fast-paced newsroom.
BuzzFeed News copy editors must be familiar with a range of subjects, the effects of our reporting about them, and the nuances demanded in the way we write about them. These include politics and government, race and inequality, science (e.g., the coronavirus), tech, and influencer culture.
This job is full-time and based in Los Angeles or New York City. You will report to the copy chief. We offer a great benefits package and a stock option program.
- Copyedit breaking news, essays, investigations, features, newsletters, videos, graphics, and app/display copy for sensitivity and inclusion, style, grammar, punctuation, spelling, consistency, clarity, and concision
- Discuss and craft updates to the BuzzFeed Style Guide
- Brainstorm tweets for the @styleguide Twitter account
- Contribute to the Quibbles & Bits newsletter
- At least 3 years' postgraduate work experience as a copy editor for a digital media publisher
- Impeccable copyediting skills
- A passion for internet and pop culture and familiarity with the day's top headlines
- Experience editing copy for sensitivity, accuracy, inclusiveness, and consistency without losing tone or voice
- An active interest in the evolution of language in the internet era, recognizing when it's important to deviate from the AP Stylebook and Merriam-Webster's dictionary
All job applications must be received through the official BuzzFeed Jobs board (https://www.buzzfeed.com/about/jobs), including referrals. It is BuzzFeed's practice to not schedule job interviews until after an application is submitted through our jobs board.
Life at BuzzFeedAt BuzzFeed, we believe our work benefits from the diverse perspectives of our employees. As such, BuzzFeed celebrates inclusion and is committed to equal opportunity employment. At BuzzFeed, you can expect:
- A supportive, inclusive atmosphere on a team that values your contributions
- Opportunities for personal and professional growth through work experience, offerings from our in-house Learning @ BuzzFeed team, our Employee Resource Groups, and more
- An attractive and equitable compensation package, including salary and stock options
A generous benefits program featuring PTO, unlimited sick time, comprehensive medical benefits, a family leave policy, access to mental health platforms, retirement plans, gym and wellness discounts, and much more.
BuzzFeed is the world’s leading tech-powered media company, with a cross-platform news and entertainment network that reaches hundreds of millions of people globally. The company aims to spread truth and joy across the internet by producing articles, lists, quizzes, videos, original series; lifestyle content through brands including Tasty, the world’s largest social food network; original reporting and investigative journalism through BuzzFeed News; strategic partnerships, licensing and product development through BuzzFeed Marketing; and original productions across broadcast, cable, SVOD, film and digital platforms for BuzzFeed Studios.
BuzzFeed is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, and will not be discriminated against based on age, race, gender, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability or any other protected category.